I have the personality and friendship points set up more or less ready to go. I need to add in the friends. I just add this script to buttons, set the points however I like, and then have the button call the function in the script to add them.
What I’d like to do is figure out a way to keep track of the branching dialog a little better, because it’s going to get complicated. I suppose the Twine files already do that, but still.
So to prove I’m still alive, I am uploading my latest build.
I haven’t done as much as I’d hoped. I’m lacking in motivation at the moment, which probably just means I need to start drinking stronger coffee. I’ve got the beginning of a branching conversation, and I have written some scripts that work nicely with the cinema director timeline to make dialog that’s not sucky. I need to set up the personality system. Luckily, I should be able to throw a few more variables into the same place I’m keeping track of the hair/skin/etc. I already have most of the dialog and corresponding points system worked out in Twine. After that, I’m trying to decide if I want to start designing the HUD or keep going with the first level.
Latest build: http://www.johnalatouf.com/testing/Unity/Tubes2/Tubes2.html
On an off-topic note, I’d sort of like to take some time to investigate and learn to make Twine themes for my own amusement and for sharing. I might do this soon.
I need to make a mental note to remember that when exporting character models from the latest version of Blender, I need to export them as ASCII .fbx files scaled to 9.5 times the original (unless I already scaled them in Blender). The updated version has been a bit of a pain, but I made a male character with a new rig so I figured I might as well upgrade since his rig isn’t cooperating with the animations I made for the female characters.
Things are progressing slowly with the game this week due to a variety of interruptions and just general laziness (re: chasing trophies in Inquisition) on my part. I’d like to have a new build some time this evening.
Things were a bit slow this weekend. My allergies have been especially bad, keeping me from being as productive as I’d like.
I have movement mostly good now. There are some glitches when moving backwards at particular angles, but I think I can smooth those out. I suspect that the idle animation is moving the root bone which is moving the collider in such a way that it slips through the mesh when it transitions from one animation to the other.
I have started building environment stuff, as well, although it’s still rather bare. I’d like to have some panels and cables and things in there, and I’m not sure what I’m doing with the tank, yet. I set up all sorts of fancy particle effects, too, but they aren’t working because of course not.
I worked on some comic stuff yesterday and now I’m back to Unity. I spent a good chunk of time this evening rearranging hair things so that I could add a new hair with a curly texture. Adding another hair mesh doesn’t take much effort (except for the modelling part). It just needs to be added to the arrays on the customization and playable character models. And a button needs to be added. I didn’t want to have to make a whole new hair texture, since I’m sticking to using one and just tinting it, but I wanted curly hair so I had to adjust some UV’s to fit it into the current image.
I am still focusing on UI work. I have written a few small scripts to change outline colours and button text on hover and selection. This was a bit tricky, because Unity’s current UI is still relatively new, and it took some digging to figure out how to script rollover events for the latest buttons. I’d like to get back to making the actual game tomorrow, so I’ll probably do what I can to finish up the UI tonight/tomorrow morning and then I’ll try to set up the first playable scene with a proper environment and conversation.