Paints

I have a few errands I’m supposed to be running at the moment, so naturally I’m doing Twine fiddling. I decided to use a mutator observer to apply randomized paints to the passages. I have this one mostly finished, there’s just a few kinks left.

http://johnalatouf.com/testing/TwineCSS/PaintCanvas/Story.html

I noticed that the fonts in the save menu are missing some characters? Or something? I will investigate as soon as I have gone to the store, washed the dishes, walked the dog, and cleaned the apartment.

Not Dead

I was out of town, visiting my sister and new nephew in Alberta. It was an exciting adventure and an opportunity to recharge. I’m breaking from Unity work to work on some more web design. I’m trying to make some generic stylesheet/jQuery snippets to dress up Twine games that are made with the SugarCube theme.

screenshot

It will… not look like this when I am finished, but I need to mess with some background images to figure out the jQuery. I’d like to do two paint-themed designs and then I don’t know what else. I will probably return to Unity in another week, although classes are gearing up again soon and I need to re-learn all of my linear algebra because it’s been a while.

UI UI UI

So I started skinning my UI. There’s a good chance I’ll change it down the line, but I wanted to at least wrap my head around Unity’s UI system so I can plan ahead. I was hoping Unity had some sort of button grouping system, but so far as I can tell it doesn’t. (For all I know it does, and I just didn’t know what words to search for, but anyways…)

I created a small script that lets you set a selected colour to a button. Then using the OnClick in the inspector I can tell each button to set itself to selected and the rest of the related buttons to unselected. It’s still a bit tedious, but it gets the job done.

I can also use a MultiActor track group in Cinema Director to set the default selected buttons to selected state in the opening of the scene.

So here’s my progress. Forgive my terrible dialog. And timing. And the UI is still unfinished. http://www.johnalatouf.com/testing/Intro2.html

UI Design

It seems I’ve acquired a summer cold so I’m taking it easy today. I have started looking at Cinema Director for Unity as a way to throw together cutscenes. In the meantime, I have mocked up some ideas for my UI. I know I can leave this to the end if I really want to, but I am a UI artist so I’m going to get that going now.

I’m debating getting a license for the whole creative cloud Adobe thing. I wish there was a smaller license that let you get Photoshop and Illustrator alone, since those are the only two things I want. I know I can just use Gimp and Inkscape, but I don’t like Inkscape. Illustrator is a magic miracle tool that doesn’t compare, and I need it to make pretty knot work patterns to fit my UI. Hmm.

So here are my mocks:

Customizer_face  Customizer_hair  Customizer_eyes

 

 

And here is my latest work with the game:

http://johnalatouf.com/testing/Customizer4.html

My Art Site

So I have created a new theme for my art website. I built it off of http://underscores.me/ which is a great starting theme. I studied a few tutorials to figure out how to make the layout scroll horizontally. The links in the navigation menu point to the id of each div. When a link is clicked, the html,body scrolls to that target minus the width of the margin to centre it. At the same time, the background and foreground divs also animate the same distance with different timing.

Getting the whole thing to line up at all screen sizes was a delightful experience. Javascript makes it fairly easy to detect the size of a window and when it resizes, so I was able to dynamically resize the images easily in a browser. The real challenge was making the whole thing work for mobile. It doesn’t help that mobile devices insist on holding onto javascript no matter how many times you try to clear their caches. In the end, I had to rename js files over and over just to test my tweaks.

The sky is a simple CSS gradient that changes based on the hour. The hour also adjusts brightness and contrast effects on the foreground and background images.

Outstanding Issues:

  • The pages are hard coded into the index.php file. I’m not happy about this. It works fine for my website, but WordPress themes should be more dynamic than this. I would like to find a way to load pages dynamically and resize the website to account for new pages.
  • There’s no support for sub menu links.
  • I have disabled the links to entry permalinks. I wasn’t sure how I wanted to display those yet. Right now, they’re just a mess.