I have finished my first Twine style and it’s shared on the sidebar menu. I am working on my next one. I have worked out all of the kinks I can find. I’ve noticed some weird characters showing up in the demo, but this is due to my browser not displaying certain characters properly when exporting Twine code, so it should effect anyone else using the files.
I’m enjoying this project both because I’m quite fond of Twine, and because I like the challenge of trying to dive into and customize existing designs with minimal instruction.
On to the next one!
So I am testing out swapping meshes and textures for the player customization. So far, I have a skinned player who’s head and hair meshes can swap to another set, and a skin texture that swaps. I have added some face bones to my rig, as well as four hair bones to give some mild hair animation.
I was having an issue with one of my meshes. Some of the faces weren’t showing up in Unity, despite the normals being correct in Blender. It turns out the mesh’s textures were all… screwy? I’m not sure. Some of the faces were displaying a different texture. It was very strange.
My test project is a huge mess right now, so I will start a new project tomorrow and populate it with various meshes and textures. I’d like to have at least the female character creation system set up in a reasonable amount of time.
I don’t want to give myself a concrete due date at the moment, because I am going away this weekend, and the Jaws of Hakkon DLC for Dragon Age is coming out tomorrow, apparently, for PS4, so I will probably be losing some work time in the near future.
Here’s the terrible demo. Press A to swap body texture, S to swap face mesh, and SPACE to swap hair mesh (god help us with this hair mesh. I haven’t figured out alphas on shaders quite yet):
Okay, so, Unity is kind of a pain, but I did manage (with lots of help and the use of a pretty good tutorial here http://www.41post.com/4162/programming/unity-raycast-reflection) manage to put together something that I want.
There are still some bugs. For one thing, the way to select the mirrors is stupid right now, but that’s fixable. You have to click and remain hovering over them with the mouse, then spin them using the left and right keys. More concerning is the fact that when I have two beams hitting one mirror, the first reflection beam is replaced with the new reflection. It shouldn’t do this. I guess it should display both? I don’t know, that might just be annoying. I’ll think about it.
I have spent the last few days doing Unity tutorials. I’m trying to do some annoying things with Unity’s RayCast that may or may not be possible. I’m trying to make a simple laser reflection game. A RayCast is emitted from a light source area and then when it hits another object it draws a line using LineRenderer to reflect from that object. Ideally, it should continue reflecting along objects that you can turn until it touches an end point.
I found a tutorial online that makes the RayCasts reflect on a set number of objects and then draws one long lineRenderer. This isn’t quite what I want, as I need to be able to adjust the number of reflections differently and I will need to use separate LineRenderers probably, but it’s a start. I am working towards getting the separate LineRenderers working, and then I’ll try and fit them into a loop of some sort. We’ll see.