I need to make a mental note to remember that when exporting character models from the latest version of Blender, I need to export them as ASCII .fbx files scaled to 9.5 times the original (unless I already scaled them in Blender). The updated version has been a bit of a pain, but I made a male character with a new rig so I figured I might as well upgrade since his rig isn’t cooperating with the animations I made for the female characters.
Things are progressing slowly with the game this week due to a variety of interruptions and just general laziness (re: chasing trophies in Inquisition) on my part. I’d like to have a new build some time this evening.
So I am testing out swapping meshes and textures for the player customization. So far, I have a skinned player who’s head and hair meshes can swap to another set, and a skin texture that swaps. I have added some face bones to my rig, as well as four hair bones to give some mild hair animation.
I was having an issue with one of my meshes. Some of the faces weren’t showing up in Unity, despite the normals being correct in Blender. It turns out the mesh’s textures were all… screwy? I’m not sure. Some of the faces were displaying a different texture. It was very strange.
My test project is a huge mess right now, so I will start a new project tomorrow and populate it with various meshes and textures. I’d like to have at least the female character creation system set up in a reasonable amount of time.
I don’t want to give myself a concrete due date at the moment, because I am going away this weekend, and the Jaws of Hakkon DLC for Dragon Age is coming out tomorrow, apparently, for PS4, so I will probably be losing some work time in the near future.
Here’s the terrible demo. Press A to swap body texture, S to swap face mesh, and SPACE to swap hair mesh (god help us with this hair mesh. I haven’t figured out alphas on shaders quite yet):