VR Voxels

Over the summer I did a Directed Study course in which I created the first implementation of my VR Voxels app. My plan is to extend this project into an honours thesis. The application works with the Oculus Rift headset and Leap Motion system. Below is a video demo, the final report on the project, and the GitHub link.

VR Voxels Report

VR Voxels on Github

Environment and Movement

Things were a bit slow this weekend. My allergies have been especially bad, keeping me from being as productive as I’d like.

I have movement mostly good now. There are some glitches when moving backwards at particular angles, but I think I can smooth those out. I suspect that the idle animation is moving the root bone which is moving the collider in such a way that it slips through the mesh when it transitions from one animation to the other.

I have started building environment stuff, as well, although it’s still rather bare. I’d like to have some panels and cables and things in there, and I’m not sure what I’m doing with the tank, yet. I set up all sorts of fancy particle effects, too, but they aren’t working because of course not.

http://johnalatouf.com/testing/Unity/Tubes/Tubes.html

Pretty Hairs are Important, Okay?

I worked on some comic stuff yesterday and now I’m back to Unity. I spent a good chunk of time this evening rearranging hair things so that I could add a new hair with a curly texture. Adding another hair mesh doesn’t take much effort (except for the modelling part). It just needs to be added to the arrays on the customization and playable character models. And a button needs to be added. I didn’t want to have to make a whole new hair texture, since I’m sticking to using one and just tinting it, but I wanted curly hair so I had to adjust some UV’s to fit it into the current image.

I am still focusing on UI work. I have written a few small scripts to change outline colours and button text on hover and selection. This was a bit tricky, because Unity’s current UI is still relatively new, and it took some digging to figure out how to script rollover events for the latest buttons. I’d like to get back to making the actual game tomorrow, so I’ll probably do what I can to finish up the UI tonight/tomorrow morning and then I’ll try to set up the first playable scene with a proper environment and conversation.

Progress: http://johnalatouf.com/testing/Unity/Intro2/Intro2.html

Player Customization

So I am testing out swapping meshes and textures for the player customization. So far, I have a skinned player who’s head and hair meshes can swap to another set, and a skin texture that swaps. I have added some face bones to my rig, as well as four hair bones to give some mild hair animation.

I was having an issue with one of my meshes. Some of the faces weren’t showing up in Unity, despite the normals being correct in Blender. It turns out the mesh’s textures were all… screwy? I’m not sure. Some of the faces were displaying a different texture. It was very strange.

My test project is a huge mess right now, so I will start a new project tomorrow and populate it with various meshes and textures. I’d like to have at least the female character creation system set up in a reasonable amount of time.

I don’t want to give myself a concrete due date at the moment, because I am going away this weekend, and the Jaws of Hakkon DLC for Dragon Age is coming out tomorrow, apparently, for PS4, so I will probably be losing some work time in the near future.

Here’s the terrible demo. Press A to swap body texture, S to swap face mesh, and SPACE to swap hair mesh (god help us with this hair mesh. I haven’t figured out alphas on shaders quite yet):

http://www.johnalatouf.com/testing/FaceSwap.html